Learn more about first aid, antiseptics, and preventing infection.
Learn more about first aid essentials and stay up-to-date on news & information
Frequently Asked Questions: Learn more about Betadine® consumer products.
- What are Betadine® products?
- Betadine® products are antiseptics that kill germs promptly in minor cuts, scrapes, and burns and reduce bacteria on the skin.
- What is the active first aid ingredient in Betadine® products?
- Povidone-iodine is the active ingredient in Betadine® products. Povidone-iodine is active against a broad spectrum of pathogens in vitro.1
- How long have Betadine® products been around?
- Betadine® products have been used in hospitals for over 40 years to reduce bacteria that can potentially cause infection.
- Which Betadine® products are formulated for consumer use?
- Betadine® products are available in the following formulations for use at home: Betadine® Solution and Betadine® Spray.
- Where can I buy Betadine® products?
- Betadine® products are available at online retailers and stores near you. Click here to learn more.
For external use only.
Do not use in the eyes, over large areas of the body, or if the patient is allergic to povidone-iodine or any other ingredients in this preparation.
Ask a doctor before use if you have deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns.
Stop use and ask a doctor if the condition persists or gets worse, if redness, irritation, swelling or pain continues or increases, infection occurs, or the patient needs to use this product for longer than 1 week.
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Please read full product label before use.
- Data on File. Evaluation of four povidone-iodine test products for their antimicrobial properties when challenged with various microorganism strains using an in-vitro time-kill method. BioScience Laboratories; December 2001. Purdue Pharma L.P.: Stamford, CT.